Monday, May 25, 2009

Recipe: Roasted Beets, Caramelized Onions & Blue Cheese



I wanted to caramelize some onions for our beet salad but alas no sugar at the cabin. What to do? Improvise. I present to you...Smuckers Apricot Jam.

And ya know what? It worked! We had picked up some deeeelicous Poplar Grove Tiger Blue cheese (just an FYI--I never endorse anything I don't love! And I while I wish I was paid to eat or try food, I am not!) and chowed it down with the Poplar Grove Syrah 2005...mmm....





4 medium beets
2 red onions sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
2 tablespoons apricot jam or brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup blue cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Servings: 4

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Wrap beets (un-peeled) in aluminum foil and bake for approximately 75 minutes or until you can stick a knife through without resistance. Set aside.

Heat butter in a medium size saucepan on medium heat. Add onions. Cook, adding balsamic every 5 minutes to deglaze pan. After about 10 minutes add the jam. Total cooking time should be 20-25 minutes or until softened and thoroughly cooked.

Peel beets and slice them into 1/4 inch rounds. Place on plate and top with onions and 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment