Sunday, May 10, 2009

Recipe: Mom's Pancakes


My mom is the best mom in the whole world, so it is no surprise she makes the best pancakes I have ever had. And my friend Teresa says so too and she has no vested interest.
These have none of that baking soda-ish aftertaste that most pancakes seem to get.
The key to these pancakes is PATIENCE (and the yogurt). Whenever I try and turn up the heat or flip them before they have those tiny bubbles I regret it. So make sure you have a well buttered pan, turn on some Sunday morning tv and enjoy a coffee or tea while you wait for them to cook. I like them with blueberries in the pancakes and vanilla yogurt on top and then drizzled with maple syrup. Try it. I think you will too.


1 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup yogurt

Yield: 6 pancakes

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in frying pan.
Mix the ingredients of flour through sugar in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix egg, 2 tablespoons of melted butter and yogurt and add to dry ingredients. Do not overmix-the batter should be lumpy.
Cook in the non-stick frying pan that you melted the butter (there should be a remaining tablespoon in pan) at medium/low heat. Wait until small bubbles appear before turning. Keep warm in a 300 degree oven.
Serve with fresh fruit, yogurt and maple syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I made these today with my ladies for a 3pm breakfast! I have never tried pancakes with yogurt so I was intrigued. EXCELLENT RECIPE!!

    We substituted a banana for the egg because I'm on a no egg kick. It works really well but we had to add a little soy milk because the banana wasn't quite liquid enough. Also if you're cooking with a banana make sure you turn the heat down a little bit more because it takes a bit longer to cook and you don't want to burn these little gem babies.

    Also added cinnamon!

    A++

    ReplyDelete