Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes



A ripe tomato is a beautiful thing…and it is a tasty thing too!
This is the time people.
To harvest this bounty and eat these delicious fruits up.
Go to your local Farmers Market, Commercial Drive, Whole Foods…they are all carrying them!
Fresh heirloom tomato salads are my favourite way to devour them.
Next up? A fresh salsa. This one gives you the option to add fresh corn. I only recommend this if you have the super sweet cobs. Serve up with tortilla chips (obvious) fish tacos, grilled fish, fajitas…as a bruschetta. Add some avocado on a bed of greens, toss with a little lime and olive oil and half a cup of the salsa---let your creativity take over.

This tomato stole my heart, then my belly. Is it not stunning?



Heirloom Tomato and Corn Salsa

1 1/2 pounds firm, ripe tomatoes , cut into 3/8-inch diced, about 3 cups
2 tablespoons minced jalapeño or 1/2 a chipotle large jalapeño chile minced (about 2 tablespoons) **see note
1/2 cup minced red onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
pinch ground black pepper
2 - 6 teaspoons lime juice from 1 to 2 limes
1 cob of corn, cooked and sliced off the cob
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)

Yield: 4 cups

In a large colander or strainer place the chopped tomatoes and let drain for half an hour. Dice remaining ingredients. Place in a medium bowl with drained tomatoes and toss. Add corn if using.

**You can either use the jalapeño or chipotle. Both work and since I have an obsession with chipotle I like both. However, the jalapeño does let the tomato flavour shine a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. Is very helpful to change our habits, we need to think the obesity is very danger for everybody, is like a pump that can explot any time. So is necesary to take care of ourselves, exercising and taking good and healthy food and stop eating junk food. The life is too short, so we need to take care of us every single day for enjoy the things that the life gave to us. I bought my house through costa rica homes for sale so i want to enjoy it for long time. That is why i eat healthy including tomatoes, lettuce, vegetables and fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally back! Dude, I had you bookmarked on my computer, given that I am an assiduous reader of your blog, but then I had to format my pc and lost my favorite sites folder! Anyways, I'm glad I found you, I will be visiting you more often.

    ReplyDelete